Type of finish
You have a choice of three different types of finish for your shelter – CPA Assured Galvanised only, Powder Coat only, or Galvanised and Powder Coated finish.
NEW - from Jan 2016 – As part of our ongoing product development and enhancement, from January 2016, where practicable, CPA assured Galvanising will be superseded by Extreme Zinc Plating to BS EN 12329. This external coating matches or exceeds the external corrosion protection properties of CPA assured Galvanising to BS EN 1461, and has the additional benefits of:-
- Superior uniformity of coating film
- Improved aesthetics, more pleasing visual appearance
- Reduced environmental impact
- Salt spray resistance to ISO 9227
Please note, however, that this is an external surface only protection, in some cases minor rust or staining may occur around the ends and joints of sections, so therefore may not be suitable for some procurement requirements and/or applications, especially where components are subject to immersion or excessive humidity/condensation.
- If visible rust occurs, zinc dressing should be applied during routine maintenance (zinc dressing aerosol spray is available through the shelter expert).
- If staining occurs, this can be cleaned off during routine maintenance.
Zinc plating - provides superior aesthetics and smoothness to the external surfaces, but does not have the same degree of protection to the internal surfaces, ends and joints.
Galvanising - provides protection to both internal and external surfaces, ends and joints, but with a detrimental effect on the aesthetics and smoothness of the external surface.
Traditional Galvanising without Extreme Zinc Plating is still available to our customers via special order; if this is a requirement please inform us at the time of placing the order. Please note that without an instruction to exclude Extreme Zinc Plating you will be accepting the aforementioned product development and enhancement.
Galvanised Only – This provides an extremely durable finish with a corrosion resistant zinc coating to BSEN1461 that will withstand the rigours of the UK climate. The galvanising process is a hot dip process, so called because the components are dipped into a bath of molten galvanising material at approximately 450oC.
Our manufacturing process includes a careful analysis of each individual component, during which we consider and plan the optimum position for entry and drainage holes in the component, to ensure that maximum galvanising coating is applied to all internal as well as external surfaces.
The galvanising is carried out after individual component manufacture, and comes with a 10 year corrosion warranty. It will withstand a high degree of impact damage and abrasion. This finish can be coated with normal outdoor paints following manufacturer’s recommendations if you wish to personalise your shelter.
Powder Coat Only – This is a decorative, delivery coat finish applied over the prepared mild steel surface of the components, using powder coat material to BS3900. Available in a choice of 26 colours from our standard range, with other colours available to special order (Cost supplement may apply). This applied finish is then cured at high temperature to provide a long lasting finish, and protection from the elements. This powder coating process is carried out in house to ensure compliance with our strict quality control standards.The finish will withstand moderate impact damage and abrasion, and will require ongoing maintenance..
Galvanised/Zinc plated and powder coated – This combines the extreme durability of the galvanised or zinc plated finish with the decorative low maintenance powder coat final coat. Enhanced corrosion protection together with an easy clean surface make this choice a real winner!
Please note – with galvanising, that there can be a slight unevenness to the component finish where the molten galvanising material coagulates and forms “dross” or runs off the components after removal from the bath. To preserve the corrosion protection qualities of the components, only a minimum level of post galvanising fettling is carried out. Where practicable, the components will be Zinc plated to BS-EN12329 to provide a superior finish without cost uplift.
Pros and Cons
- Maximum corrosion protection
- 10 Year guarantee
- Can result in slight surface imperfections (please see note above)
Powder Coating Only
- Decorative finish
- Varied colour choice
- Moderate corrosion and impact protection
- Smooth easy clean surface
- This option without a galvanised pre treatment will require regular maintenance, and should therefore be treated as a decorative, delivery coat finish only. If this maintenance is carried out correctly, your shelter or product will maintain its appearance for many years. (Colour matched touch up paint can be purchased from the shelter expert, or local paint supplier (quoting the RAL code), at any time.) It is important that the product is regularly checked for any chips or damage, and that these are touched up. This may be required from the onset of the maintenance programme as set out on the website. As this maintenance is not within our control, we cannot guarantee the long term appearance of your product if this option alone is selected. Please also note that the coating can only be applied to the external surfaces of your product, and that the internal surfaces of the product are not coated, thus some internal surface rusting may occur, and may be visible on delivery.
- Note - Due to the nature of the production process and the way that the individual components are mounted for the application of the powder coat material, we are unable to guarantee that all components will have 100% coverage. (Minor cosmetic blemishes identified during the production and quality control process may be touched up with matching aerosol colour. Although this may be visible under certain conditions, it is not detrimental to the durability of your product, and will have been approved as compliant with our quality control standards). For this reason we strongly recommend the selection of the CPA Assured galvanising as a pre-treatment to prevent corrosion occurring, however we recognise that there is cost supplement for this option, and that this is a procurement decision by the purchaser.
Galvanised to BS-EN1461, or Zinc Plated to BS-EN12329, and powder coated
- Optimum corrosion protection.
- Decorative low maintenance finish.
- Varied Colour choice.
- 10 year structural integrity guarantee against corrosion.
- Easy clean surface
- Can result in slight surface imperfections underneath the powder coat finish.(see notes above)
- Increased cost compared to Galvanising only or Powder Coat only.
- Go back to the previous page.